Mr Louis Donald – Candidate for GSDCA President
For many decades, the GSDCA has served the GSD well in Australia, unifying all clubs and remaining at the forefront of breed improvement schemes. It must continue to be progressive and innovative to ensure our breed’s future.
To that end it’s time to bring forward new leadership and importantly, a strategic vision, a strategic vision that is based on a clearly articulated and achievable five-year plan. A plan based on a shared, transparent and committed vision by those who have the idealism and passion for the GSD not just as a show dog but a healthy, reliable and trustworthy family dog, as an obedience, agility, herding, working utilitarian service dog.
As I stated in my CV provided to the GSDCA for publication, if elected President, a detailed five-year plan will be presented at an early year meeting of all Club Presidents who shall be an integral component to that plan in regard to discussion, debate, content, agreement, commitment and execution.
Some of the more important items on that 5 year agenda:
- Review of the WUSV Harmonization program. A frank, factual and open discussion with insight into the position of the WUSV in regard to the Harmonization program and my position as WUSV Continental Director. An in depth analysis of each Harmonization item – open discussions that are free of hysteria and misinformation in regard to the practicalities, issues and matters pertaining to implementation.
- Development of a time line program for the '9–13 month puppy character test' including training and licensing of Australian judges
- Frank and open discussion regarding BH and the issues clubs have in regard to BH, ANKC endorsement, and the practicalities of providing training facilities for BH
- Discussion on DNA processes, WUSV and ANKC options and DNA implementation
- Review of the GSDCA constitution to make it applicable to todays environment and needs including overhauling the current convoluted executive election process and the difficulties pertaining to remote member location voting. Discussions re a restriction to 2 x two year electoral terms for the GSDCA President to encourage new blood to the organisation and prevent a strangle-hold on executive positions. Election of office bearers based on every individual member voting electronically via an independant electoral officer as happens with normal political State and Federal election processes.
- Review of the complete NBC/Breed Survey processes, breed survey integrity and credibility, Breed Surveyor mandadory 3 year refresher course, Breed Surveyor recruitment criteria /training/induction/ Breed Surveyor retirement processes/creation of senior BS 'Emeritus consultant' role, minimum 2 Surveyor policy and general BS management processes and BS accountability. Re-define/re-name the BS classification to reflect dogs that have an obedience/working title
- Integration of NBC/Judges/Education meetings and stepping away from the practice of behind closed doors secrecy to general members
- Review of National Show judges criteria
- Discussion re viability of a GSDCA managed, WUSV/SV interactive 'Australasian German Shepherd Dog magazine'
- Review of Sires progeny event at Nationals - purpose, critiquing structure, breeder acceptance - value
- Creation of 'show result book'. Record of show wins/grading and judges signature
- Review of social events at Nationals - Presidents dinner, over long opening ceremony/award presentations that many recipients do not attend, etc. etc.
- Broadening the scope of the GSDCA Review - Australasia
- National Junior handlers competition - Australia and NZ - global WUSV link.
- Lateral discussion in regard to the implementation of an 'Australian Sieger Show' that at at its core provides attraction to exhibitors, honest objective judgments and clear breed direction. Develop criteria for and include competitive classes for; obedience/service/agility/rescue/working dogs
- Review of the LSH interbreeding policy - LSH/SC inter breeding program
- Develop and implement a ‘GSDCA endorsed breeders - 5 star puppy certificate’
- Consider amendments to the constitution to make club Presidents more integral to the management of the GSDCA – a Board of GSDCA Directors who the GSDCA executive report to
- Reconstruct the Obedience Sub Committee to broaden it’s focus, levels of expertise and broader inclusiveness of obedience, utilitarian and working dog based activities
- Put in place initiatives to educate members in regard to overangulation of the hindquarter and curvature of the spine - breeding and bloodline advice - Judges and Breed Surveyor clear directives and management of those directives by the NBC and Judges SC Chairs
- Regular breed related and relative breed education articles in the Review
- Discussion/action; ''WUSV Australasian conference/show/seminar''
- Developing meaningful breed advice to club members in regard to both SC and LSH animals in the form of regular, clear breed direction, literature and lectures
- In the context of significant breed improvement, with the reinstatement of GSDCA/WUSV/SV good will, developing a concerted effort to see the importation of semen from the SV to Australia
- Developing a culture and a program for the GSDCA that is broader and more inclusive than one of ‘’show dogs and the next National’’.
- Creating a mutually respectful and meaningful bond with regular interaction between the GSDCA and GSDACNZ
- Repairing the great damage that has been done to WUSV/SV/GSDCA relations and developing meaningful and regular dialogue with those organisations and WUSV sister clubs