WUSV Harmonization explanation document titled 'What's it really about?'.
This is a document published by a Branch of the Victorian GSD Club. it is done under the GSDCV banner and of concern to me is that it also incorporates into the copy both the WUSV and SV logos!
The article portrays itself to be offering factual comment to Victorian Club members in regard to the WUSV Harmonization Program; to be more precise, for many people especially the inexperienced or un informed, it provides a commentary delivered under the GSDV banner that is designed to influence their decisions in regard to how they might vote on the forthcoming WUSV Harmonization Program.
A few extracts from the published document: (my responses/corrections to the statements made are in BLUE)
- It states in the published document ''IPO will not be compulsory in Australia but then goes on to say ''breeders could travel Interstate to train their dogs for an IPO title but if the dogs return to Victoria they will be deemed to be a dangerous dog? They would need to be muzzled, placed in a specially constructed run and neutered - de sexed. The statement finishes with the question ''are there any other issues?''
If IPO is not compulsory for Breed Survey or showing under the proposals being put to the club members in Australia, other than to confuse and frighten people, why would one go into the detail of explaining that a dog that goes from Victoria interstate to train for IPO would be declared a dangerous dog, muzzled, put in a special run and to cap it all off, de - sexed? The concluding statement ''are there any other issues?'', deliberately suggests to the reader there may well be other equally horrifying repercussions in addition to those listed that they are not being told about!
- ''The WUSV will take control of the HD/ED X Rays. There may be significant delays in getting results and this could mean the breeder may have spent a year working with a dog they can't use for breeding''.
The WUSV will not take control of the HD/ED scheme, this has been stated innumerable times by me and others. The Australia scheme and its readers are accepted by the WUSV. Nothing goes to Germany other than the results and statistics and there is no fee? The suggestion this will happen and that it will lead to delays that are fuzzily inter woven into a comment about working with a dog for a year and can't be used for breeding shows the level of misleading, non sensical diatribe that underscores this document.
- ''Each puppy must be DNA tested and this costs money every year to store. If you bought a pup but later decide you want to breed with it if DNA is not available you won't be able to breed with it''.
DNA testing will apply to the litter and this will be stored in Germany and only activated for dogs requiring HD/ED and this flows on to the requirement of 100% proof of ID for Breed Survey. There is no annual storage fee. The suggestion you can't breed because your puppy was not DNA tested and therefore it is impossible to DNA test is ridiculous and an insult to one’s intelligence. An animal can be DNA tested at any time in its life and the DNA process for animals tested remains in place for recall at any time.
- ''Breeders with more than one dog may not have the time to train their dogs to get them all to pass the obedience and temperament tests''.
To suggest that if you have two dogs the requirement for BH would prohibit your ability to train the second one speaks volumes about the author of this document. The author is however stating what a senior member in the sport stated to me recently. That to have to train a dog to sit on command is too much to ask if you own a number of dogs. Anyone that has an understanding of the requirements for BH or more parochially CD, would find this statement a joke. But then this statement is not directed at anyone with experience to swallow is it? it is directed at people who do not have experience and seek guidance from their club!
- ''Pet owners may not have experience or completed the imprinting and training early enough to do the right training required and temperament test''.
Pet owners may not have the experience to train their dog for the training and temperament test?! What is the function of the GSDCV?
- ''In Germany many breeders pay a trainer to train their dogs and this would probably be difficult and or cost prohibitive for the majority of Aussie GSD owners''.
To compare what we are proposing to what is required in Germany i.e. BH, a training degree that is the equivalent of CD v's IPO simply demonstrates yet again the deliberately misleading statements being put out here and anyone that is aware of the rules of both disciplines would agree with me. There is no comparison between BH and IPO and the show dog environment that exists in Germany and here is worlds apart. I would go so far as to say at least 50% of all enthusiasts that are in the show sport here would not be in the sport if the rules and requirements that apply in Germany applied here and IPO is only one small part of that statement. What is stated here in the published club document is deliberately misleading and designed to frighten people. It is another systematic, outrageous but calculating statement.
- ''The WUSV does not allow AI so we could lose our choice in our breeding''.
The ANKC allow AI and the proposals members will discuss and vote on endorse that fact. There is no way known that anyone is suggesting Australian breeders will loose their current AI choice. The AI proposal being put to the members has absolutely nothing to do with Germany/SV and its AI policy and clearly states that fact. It simply endorses the ANKC policy on AI in Australia.
- ''We could be disaffiliated from the 'ANKC' who are otherwise known as 'Dogs Victoria' in Victoria''.
Disaffiliation from the ANKC?! What a load of contrived nonsense! Nothing could be further from the truth. An inane, theatrical, fear mongering statement that actually suggests 'Dogs Victoria' is the 'ANKC' and therefore this statement and all the other ridiculous statements, more particularly the reference to IPO dogs being neutered apply throughout Australia!
- ''The ANKC have a policy that does not recognize Schutzhund titles and anyone who takes part in these activities risks disqualification. Those disqualifications negatively impact on breeders who would need to register a domestic animal business and you would not be able to participate in ANKC trials such as obedience, etc. etc. ''.
Schutzhund does not exist as a title and has no reference anywhere in the proposed Australian Harmonization Matrix. It is stated in the document that anyone who takes part in this activity, presumably IPO, risks disqualification presumably from the ANKC and every Kennel Control in Australia? Hundreds of IPO enthusiasts in Australia lawfully and within the law of their freedom of rights participate in IPO. But given IPO is not in the matrix why is it inferred that it is? Fear mongering and gross misleading of members, a statement as with the other statements designed to get as many members as possible to vote against the WUSV Harmonization Program based on mistruth - let's be frank about this - based on lies!
- ''So what do we get for our $3,000,00 association fee it asks? The right to be connected to the SV. The right to have two pedigrees; ANKC and SV and pay twice, if not you will be disaffiliated from the ANKC and the ability to have SV judges at our shows''.
The last statement - what do we get? A very good question actually. Let me respond to this statement which is designed to suggest you get very little for your money in another way. Many years ago the GSDCA asked the WUSV if it could be a WUSV member club and in the request it attached its annual subscription. To the great joy and celebration of GSDCA members at the time the WUSV said yes and we have continued to pay the sub's every year since. Our choice, our decision. Not a demand from the WUSV, not by their bullying and certainly not paid by us under sufferance. In applying to be a member of the WUSV and every year sending our subscription to the WUSV, we do it by choice and we do so on the basis of agreeing to abide by their rules and their conditions. That's how membership and affiliation works. It's your decision to join and in doing so you agree to abide by that clubs/organisations rules and conditions, likewise it is their prerogative not to allow you to join or if you are already a member, to discontinue your membership if you don't abide by their rules and conditions. It's called democracy!
The document concludes with the cry to arms, emblazoned in red; ''We need you to vote - weigh up the benefits, attend the meeting and have your say! Who's say is the pertinent question here!
The calculated misinformation contained in this club document purported to be done to provide needed information and clarity is nothing short of breathtaking. Unfortunately I have already heard the exact same misleading statements and one could reasonably assume therefore they all emanate from a common source.
What is clear is that this misinformation has been published to influence Victorian club members when they vote on the WUSV Harmonisation motions this coming week! I have stated all of the above corrections so many times in response to misinformation, even by people in positions of authority, it makes my head spin. I just hope the majority realize the minority are misleading them and that my responses here provide a factual offset to individuals who have read this publication and have been misled by it.